All you have is your story


Hours before leaving Peru I had 2 cameras, my money, passport, credit cards, and ID stolen. I spent my last day in a police station in Lima and 8 hours fighting the Peruvian government only to pay off an immigration agent moments before my plane left the country.

This is my story...


I thought the journey was done when we made it to the Sun Gate; when we saw the first glimpse of Machu Picchu as the rays poured down on this lost city. We finished the trek that we came here to complete. I had no idea how much our journey would continue in such a different way.

There are moments in life when the world stands still; when everything around you is spinning but you are in slow motion. Words fall silent as adrenaline fills your body and your heart tries to catch up with your brain. This is what happened the moment I realized my most valuable material possessions had been stolen in a foreign country.

I thought that I had enough documentation to get home. I patted myself on the back for the copy of my passport and ID I had hidden inside another bag. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Racing the hours before our flights left, my friends went into overdrive; searching through trashcans, filing reports in police stations, canceling credit cards and calling home. We fought through language barriers, a closed US Embassy, broken US Customs and Border Patrol systems and chased down rabbit holes that led to gate agents and government officials in two countries. We fought for hours, only to be told that I wouldn't leave the country for days. I was told that it is "impossible" to get past the Peruvian government without proper documentation.

It felt like a scene from a movie. My friends were on their way back to Africa the next day and couldn't stay and I was running the risk of being left in Peru alone for days with no money or identification.

I don't know if you believe in God, but my story is impossible without Him.

What I learned through this process is that to leave the country all you need is a stamp. One stamp. That little one in your passport that the immigration agent you've probably never paid much attention to picks up and slams down. That's what grants you the freedom to leave their country for your own. We fought, prayed and cried our way through every closed and then open door, only to be told "no, you will not leave this country," while standing feet from freedom.


With nothing left but exhaustion, desperation and minutes, I followed an immigration officer that demanded I would not leave his country, only to see another officer that had given me a glimmer of hope hours before. Not understanding at the time, I sobbed and begged him again. Walking with me he said, "calm down, I said I would help you." Then as he looked at the copy of my passport and boarding ticket, he said it would cost me $100. I stared at him blankly and said, "I have lost everything in your country, I have nothing." Seconds later I turned my head only to see 11 of my friends at their boarding gate smashed against a glass door, watching and praying 10 ft from where I was standing. I motioned and they came running and emptied their wallets. I handed him $100 and he took the copy of my passport, turned it over and said, "you have no problems in this country" and slammed down the ink covered stamp that we had fought 8 hours for! He looked at me and said, "now exit" and with trembling hands and disbelief I gathered my papers and went running to my friends' arms.


In the same way that the 15 of us came into this country together, we left together. Through every step of the journey God made the impossible possible and I have seen His love displayed like never before. Through friends that fought me to the front of lines, angels that came in disguise that I have never met before in my life and the right people in the right place at exactly the right time, I got on that plane ONLY because God guided and provided every step of the way.

The funny thing is, that in losing "everything" I have gained more than I have ever known. I have seen love and selflessness that I have never seen before. Only in the most desperate situations that are unbelievably out of my control, does God get the opportunity to show off His strength, love and power, and do I get the opportunity to take it all in.  We came here to create memorable moments.  I know that we're writing stories that we will never forget!

*Janine Brown, thank you for standing by my side and fighting when I had no more strength every step of the way*



Comments

Emily said…
Welcome home, my friend. I like your story. Keep telling it.
So happy those friends new and old, were there for you , God is Good! God bless you in all your journeys! Doreen, Jeff's Mom
Bobby Brown said…
WOW!! Through all my journeys through foreign countries and not being able to understand languages, God has proven His faithfulness to me. I'm so glad you're back safely!! What a story to tell!

Popular Posts