9 Weeks, 11 States, 1 Journey

Want to know what I've been doing over the last 9 weeks, here's a glimpse into my world, and the latest update on my life. If you don't get my newsletter in your inbox and want to, "subscribe to my newsletter" on the right.



The walls of my home are lined with inspiring quotes about freedom and faith, adventures and dreams.

Quotes begging me to push past the boundaries of what is comfortable in exchange for what could be. These are the things that Hallmark cards and Pinterest boards are made of and they become the canvases that line our walls. They are safe there; greeting us when we come home from work and inspiring us as we make our coffee and take on a new day.

Yet like faith, we don't know how much we truly believe it, until it's all that we are standing on...

Nine weeks ago I quit my job of nine years and set out on a journey around the US. I knew that I needed to take a step away before moving into something else. This wasn't just a time to seek out what is next, but a time to rest and to dream and to pray. A time for God to show me more about what He's spent these last nine years creating inside of me.

I spent this time living out of suitcases and resting on the hospitality of friends. From couches to spare bedrooms to borrowed vehicles, I was reminded how blessed I truly am. I kayaked through North Carolina, rode bikes through Virginia and moved my friends from the desert to the midwest. I had conversations that lasted long into the night and woke up drinking cups of coffee and filling whiteboards with dreams. I went to first days of school, played pirates and dress up and had slumber parties in tents. I relished in being present for my friend's lives and spending time with family that wasn't followed by "goodbye."

I left El Paso seeking answers and direction, but most importantly I left seeking Him. Truth be told, I wanted to return home with a well formulated plan of exactly what I was going to do next. While I traveled, I sought out jobs with nonprofits and churches and walked through open doors to see where each would lead. Although I did find clear direction, it wasn't exactly in the area that I was looking for. Before returning home, I received a call explaining that my apartment is being turned into an office space and that I will need to find a new place to live at the end of this month. As difficult as this was to hear, this news also gave me more clear direction than anything else I experienced along the way. Instead of returning to El Paso with no answers, I knew that I was returning to pack up my home.

I am still seeking out job opportunities as I take care of what needs to be accomplished over the next month. For the next two weeks I will be in Juárez, México building two previously scheduled homes with friends through Casas por Cristo. After that I will have two weeks to pack up my home. I have had many offers from friends to stay with them and I am considering buying a trailer to store my things so that I am free to go where I feel called. I see God pushing me to let go of areas in my life that I cling to so tightly. I know that He is trying to set me free. It's time to pack up the quotes written on decorative canvases on my walls and start really living them. I feel like Abraham wandering, knowing that I am following God, with no clue where I am going.

It is exciting and dreamlike to take leaps of faith and to challenge what you think life could be. But it is also terrifying and dangerous and has tested everything inside of me. This has been my life for nine years, I feel more connected and at home here than anywhere else in the world. Some days I am walking on clouds of faith and others I allow the waves of fear to wash over me. I am human. When I walked away from Casas por Cristo, I walked away from worldly provisions to follow Him into areas that I have never been before. I walked away from a steady support account, insurance and promises for tomorrow. I no longer have prayer cards or business cards to pass out at churches. My name doesn't fall under a drop-down page on a website for a tax deductible donation to a nonprofit. In a few weeks I won't even have an address to call my own. However, I see His hand so clearly. In my lack of resources I have never felt Him more. He has shown me His face through circumstances that sound impossible to believe and I have seen more value in my relationships than ever before.

This is still new to me though; this is unchartered territory. I kept waiting to write this letter. Waiting until I had more answers than questions. Waiting until I had more to tell you than faith alone. But I don't. And if I believe what I say, that is more than enough. I want to live a life that inspires others. I don't want my fears and hesitations to fall in the way. I am trying to step out on faith daily. To seek out where He would have me. I meant it when I asked you all to join me. Pray for me: for direction and clarity. Continue to support me financially: you can send a check to the address below. Keep in touch: your friendship means more than you could possibly know. Thank you for being a part of this journey with me, no matter where the road may lead.

Much Love, Brittany

Comments

Popular Posts