my story people

i have these friends in my life that challenge me; that won't let me settle for the status quo or allow complacency in my life. i think that i take this community for granted. i think that i completely forget that it's not normal to have people in your life that will not let you think that a nice house, a good paycheck, and no debt is all there is to life; that won't let me settle for comfortableness if it is at the sacrifice of improving another's well being. they don't ask me if i accomplished all of my goals for the day, but rather if someone else's life is better today because i was a part of it.

we are dreamers and i pray that we never stop dreaming. i pray that we remind each other 20 years from now if our head isn't in the clouds rather than if it is. i hope that they catch me on my way down when i get out of my 20's and begin to feel the need for security, when i begin to fear the fall, when i begin to doubt the strength of the clouds on which i'm standing. we sit around and read lofty quotes and dream big ideas and i think that's exactly what we're supposed to do. i don't think there's ever supposed to be a time when you quit asking what you want to do instead of what you have to do, and i think when you hit the walls you have to question if those walls are as important as you thought they were in the first place.

i don't know where life will be in 5, 10, or 30 years from now. i don't know where it will be tomorrow. i know our worlds won't always revolve around El Paso, or MX or even building homes for families with Casas por Cristo. but i hope that who we are and what we've learned and the lives we are living follow us not because of where we worked or lived but because of who we are. i hope that over the years the realities of life and downfalls of the world don't jade us but that we still look past them into some kind of hope and dare to write our dreams all over the walls and not shy from the possibilities or the lack there of. and if we ever stop dreaming i pray we have the strength to ask each other why, and then sit in the silence and stare together as we fight again to find our way.

"I still fly a lot in my dreams, she told us, but i try to stay close to the ground. at my age a fall can be pretty serious."

may this never be us. may we never fear falling; but rather that we'll never fly.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love you girl!!! You are my inspiration!!

Popular Posts