Entitled

I'm realizing how spoiled i am.  That's the reality of it.  I'm spoiled.

There are some things that i consider basics in life and i feel jipped when they don't happen.  I'm learning more and more that my "basics" are someone elses privileges.  What many thank God for, i have come to expect.  Then i feel sorry for myself when those things are not met.

My truck got broken into last night.  Outside of the busted casing off of my steering column nothing was stolen out of it and for whatever reason they weren't successful.  I still have a truck.  But somewhere in thanking God for what i have, there is still a feeling of frustration because this "shouldn't have happened."

Last week the door handle broke off the inside of my truck.  I roll my window down now to open my door from the outside.  We laugh about it.  But i get frustrated at the 3 extra seconds it takes now for this "huge inconvenience."

I haven't had groceries in my house for about a week.  I'm scrounging around and have almost cleared out the random canned goods that sit in the back of my cabinet.  It doesn't matter that the reason i don't have groceries is because i haven't made time to go to the store, it still feels depressing that there is no food to eat.


And right now my heat is broken.  It's the first night that it will drop below freezing here and although i know i have a bed with an electric blanket on it that's been warming it up for hours, the gloves, and jacket i'm wearing in my house seem to be out of place.

It seems like God is showing me lately how blessed i really am, by momentarily being without those "basic" things.  And as much as I'm realizing my own short comings and expectations in life, it hasn't come without gratitude and a renewed sense of blessing.
Even as i sit here and type, my heat has just been fixed, i have a fridge full of groceries and my truck is parked outside.

My lack thereof is momentary whereas for so many others, this is the world they know.  Walls don't block the wind and heat is not an option.  Empty cupboards are not due to laziness and owning a vehicle is a farfetched dream.

So tonight although i'm spoiled, i'm also grateful.
Far more grateful than i would have been otherwise for a warm home, a fridge full of food and a truck to drive.

Thank you God for your blessings that are poured out upon us.  Thank you for helping me learn to say the same when I am in need.  Please provide for those that are cold and hungry tonight.







Comments

Popular Posts