Habari!


You know those moments when you stand with your hands stretched up to the sky, close your eyes as the wind blows through your hair and take in every single feeling and sound around you?

That was Kenya for me.

Whether it was riding around on a boda (motorcycle taxi) or driving through the Maasai Mara on safari; this was Kenya. I felt like a kid again, wide eyed and taking pictures of everything. You would think I’d never left the country before. It was weird to feel this way. I’m used to being the one translating the language or telling my friends what meals they are eating. But in Kenya, I was so lost, so out of my comfort zone. It was everything I thought it would be and nothing I ever imagined. I am still trying to process and take it all in. Just looking through the videos and pictures to write this makes me realize that I have so many stories to share; so much I still want to learn and understand from my time there. Keep a look out on my blog as I continue to try and put words to the adventures that I lived.

While I was away I saw God's hand constantly. I was a recepient of His provision in a place where I had nothing to rely on but Him. We always say that God's timing is not our own. Right now I could not agree with this more. I am finding myself having to trust His timing in my life now more than ever because it is not what I would have chosen.

I found myself going straight from rural Africa to bus to taxi to plane from Nairobi, straight into Las Vegas! Really?! I could not have picked a more opposite place! Culture shock does not even come close! However, I flew to Vegas for an opportunity that I am really excited and passionate about.

My friends and former co-worker have created an organization called Photoserve. They organize trips partnering photographers with different organizations around the world, giving them an opportunity to use their gifts and talents to bring God glory. You might have heard me talk about it in the past as they launched their first trip with Casas and we took a group of photographers on a build in Acuña, MX last October. It was one of the most amazing builds I've ever been a part of. Not only did we build a home for a family in need, but through photography each participant connected with the family, God and one another. They used their gifts and talents to give back to the family and to Casas. I loved everything about this trip and felt honored to lead the team.

My friends had the opportunity to present Photoserve at a wedding photography conference in Vegas and share their dream with thousands of photographers and they invited me to share in that opportunity with them. Although Vegas is the last place I would have chosen to arrive after Kenya, being around inspiring photographers using their gifts to change the world was amazing. God reminded me of my passions for photogaphy in Kenya and helped me understand more about how I want to use my camera to capture beauty and bring joy to those around me.

Needless to say I returned from Kenya and Vegas inspired and exhausted! Continuing the theme of chaos and timing, I had two weeks to catch up from being away to prepare myself to begin building for our busy spring break season. I am writing you this on the cusp of that now as my first team flies in tonight and I am preparing for a month of building. My builds take me from Juárez to Acuña and back every other week over the next month.

My week days will be spent building and my weekends on the 7 hr. commute between El Paso and Del Rio, TX. I go into this season excited for what God has planned but also a little nervous and tired as I'm still trying to process all that has been happening. I know that God's plan is not for me to sit idly as I take everything in so I trust that He will help me continue to process and even understand more as I serve Him and continue to grow each day over the next month.

As we prepare for the busyness of spring break and see all of the homes that will soon be built, I am thankful and in awe of all that God has done. It's amazing to know that after 3 years of fighting to keep homes being built and teams coming, our staff is now spread across 3 cities and 2 countries building homes. It's awesome to see our schedules full and our staff pushed to their capacity as we respond to the need.

So for this spring break season I'm asking that you keep us all in your prayers. Please pray for safety and growth for the thousands of teams that will partner with us over the next month. Please pray for our staff to stay healthy, strong and to have all that we need to lead each team and family towards Christ as we serve. Please pray for each family receiving a home not to see us, but to see Christ loving them and providing for their needs.

I'm humbled and honored to call you all friends. Thank you for your love support and for being along for this crazy journey with me!
 Much Love, Brittany







Comments

Popular Posts