One Year of Living Everywhere

51 trips, five countries, 365 days, of suitcases, busses, trains, boats, airplanes and following God confidently wherever He leads...



“The only dream worth having is to dream that you will live while you are alive, and die only when you are dead. To love, to be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and vulgar disparity of the life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget.” - Arundhati Roy

Facebook
Twitter
Website
Email
Two years ago I prayed a simple prayer, "God, teach me how to live with less, knowing I am gaining so much more."

Almost exactly a year later, I moved out of my home, sold most of my things and have been traveling
the world, seeking the next steps for my life, while working through some God given dreams. I didn't think this season would last this long, yet It's been one year now of living nowhere... or everywhere.

Over the last 12 months, I have laid my head in 51 different places, in five different countries and in countless cities. "Home" has become my friends kid's bedrooms, spare couches, cots in México, hammocks in Brazil, bunk beds in the Dominican, air mattresses, hotel rooms, air plane seats, bus seats and train stations. I have traveled from place to place, never staying anywhere for more than three weeks. I have lived on less materially then I have ever had in my life. Yet I have seen God provide for EVERY need of mine along the way.

I feel I more deeply understand the words of Paul in Philippians 4:11, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." Only in finding myself in so many different circumstances, am I learning to be content outside of the familiarity and conveniences that I have grown to know.

I spent the last 32 years learning how to become an independent woman. I have spent my 33rd year learning how to need others. In this season, this has proven to be one of the most difficult things for me; to trade pieces of my independence in exchange for reliance upon the amazing people around me.

Although I still do not have only one place to live, I do have direction in my next steps. I once heard it said, "The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." - Frederick Buechner

After this year of searching and traveling, it has become overwhelmingly clear to me, that bringing this dream of Photoserve
to life fully, is my next step.

God has put a desire on my heart to take people into worlds that they would never know. To respectfully capture the lives and stories of those living there and the organizations that are serving alongside them. To restore hope and dignity to the kingdom and bring light to the darkness in this world that we currently know.

I would love for you to continue to join with me in this journey. As we move forward with these dreams, there will undoubtedly be opportunities for you to be involved. The continued support of those around us, will be the momentum to propel us into what is next. Thank you for continuing to pray for, love and support me.

For whatever season of life I have met you in, thank you for journeying with me into the next. Here's to what lies ahead...

Much love, Brittany

#confidentlywandering

Comments

Popular Posts