Waves & Freedom

I went to the ocean and stared at the waves for a long time today. It's been raining here for days and the storm brought in huge waves. As I was sitting there, I'd watch them barrel over, one after the other. And I swear as I sat there, I could hear God talking to me.

I see so many ways that these waves are like life. The sea right now would look so rough to my grandmother and be a place that she wouldn't want to go. But to the kids out there on boogie boards or surfboards, these waves make the perfect day. In fact, it's exactly what they'd hope for.

It's funny how one person's perfect can be the exact thing that instills fear to another. But I think this has everything to do with how you intend to ride this proverbial wave. If you go out there prepared for the conditions with a surfboard or a boogie board, it's a beautiful day. But if you are going out there fragile and unprepared for the conditions, you're going to get worked.

It's kind of like life. It's amazing to me how some conditions instill so much fear for some, but to others, it's the exact ride that they want to take; the thrill that they are looking for.

I've been thinking about the Holy Spirit a lot lately. I think it's Him within us that gives us feelings of fear or trepidation in situations where someone else may feel none. What may be safe for one, armed and prepared, may be a disaster, wading out into the waves for another. I think that fear can be useful or keep us paralyzed. I'm trying to learn to trust the Holy Spirit's leading within me to be cautious at times, but also to trust those moments when I feel complete freedom to ride the waves before me.


Comments

Popular Posts