Wrecked

"Hold onto your plans loosely, they're all about to change"

This is the first thing I saw on my phone after the wreck. I wrote this today on my phone when one of my friends detoured a flight home from Africa for a travel voucher which would open the doors for a future trip. I thought about her willingness to let go of her very planned out route to her destination that she had started towards 27 hours earlier. The doors to a brand new adventure opened wide with her willingness to veer just a few hours from her plan. I wrote down this quote about holding onto your plans loosely because I thought, that's the reality of all of our lives, we hold on to where we "think" we're going but honestly, we are all in very little control. I wanted to be as willing as her when I am exhausted and ready to get to my intended destination to detour from my path onto one of the other "suggested routes" whenever the opportunity may arise.

I put my prescription in at a different Walgreens than normal today. One with less people and less tamales being sold on the corner. As I was driving there and staring after a long day at work, I paused before I turned in, waiting on the other car turning out. All of a sudden I was slammed from behind. It felt like a game of bumper cars gone terribly wrong.

When I realized what had happened we both backed up and turned into Walgreens to get out of the street. I surveyed the damage and couldn't believe what I saw, or the difference between our two vehicles at least. My truck didn't even look like it had been touched. Literally, there are two dents on the bumper, one more noticeable because it scuffed up a sticker. His car on the other hand was a complete different story. Hood smashed in, radiator leaking all over the place, pieces laying on the ground.

Reason #1 to drive a truck

I thought about this kid and the reason that we were meeting today and what had led up to our lives colliding here in this moment. I didn't want to be so caught up in the accident that I was completely unaware of the fact that my life was intertwining with another and that this was an opportunity to show love and grace like I've been shown more abundantly than I could ever repay.

We exchanged the necessary information and then went our separate ways. I got in my car to drive away while he stayed and waited on a tow truck for his. When I looked down at my phone all I saw was the quote that I had written hours earlier,

"Hold onto your plans loosely, they're all about to change." 



Comments

Popular Posts