about me

sometimes i need to be reminded of who i am. 
outside of the influence of the world around me. 
away from the circumstances of life and the weight that the days tend to bring our way.
tonight i needed to be reminded of who i am.
i didn't realize that i needed that tonight but God has a way of showing us things when we aren't looking for them.
i looked at my phone and there it was. 
for some reason the "about me" on my facebook page was pulled up and it's words filled my screen. 
my words.
in case i had forgotten. 
there it was to remind me. 

About Me:

"lead a life worthy of your calling"

i’m 30 years old and live in el paso texas; which I’m convinced is possibly one of the hardest places in the US to live.  i love to travel, and play outside, to take pictures and laugh.  i know that I’m 30 but i still find that hard to believe.  i have a huge passion to make this world a better place and make sure that i made a difference while i was here.  i love Jesus and He’s what guides my path.  i grew up in GA somewhere between a cow pasture, Atlanta, and the hood.  everything that i’ve done and have been through has affected me, molded me, and continuously changes me into who i am each day.  some days i’m a hippie, others straight from the dirty dirty, but always brittany- I hope.  i’m not convinced that the world revolves around America or that we have it all figured out like we think we do, but i’m so grateful to be born and to live in this great country.  i don’t exactly carry the southern belief that we all have to be married and have 3 children by the time we’re 20 or else we’re behind and missing something in this life.  i think the “American dream” is a suggestion, and a good one at that, but not necessarily for me.  i have this unquenchable desire to see and do and experience this world and see what else is out there; what others see, what they believe, what they do.  i also have this burning in me to help others.  however there’s a piece of me that isn’t okay just building someone a house, or a well, or doing some good deed, if i am not sharing Christ with them also; and doing it all because this is what He taught us to do.  otherwise i’m just giving them something that is going to help them now, for a couple years, not for eternity.  it’s like giving someone a fish but never teaching them how.  i know that we’re called to love EVERYONE, and to walk through this world together, so that we’re not trying to do it all on our own.  we’re to give what we have and accept what we don’t.  i feel like this is what it’s all about.  i just can’t wrap my mind around the idea that we were all created and this world exists just to get a good job, make a certain amount of money, take pretty pictures around the Christmas tree and say that’s what it was all about a lifetime later.  there’s just so much more.  that being said, i also believe with everything in me, that every teacher, mother, father, mechanic, babysitter, lawyer, custodian, doctor or whatever else someone’s calling may be, is giving back in their own way, following their own path that they are called to; just as I am to mine.  i’m just finding my way as i go, trying to embrace what each new moment brings and growing from every step that i take.  most of all i’m learning to enjoy where i am, on the way to where i am going.

Comments

Popular Posts