See Me

I just read an article in the NY Times that an art project in the town next to where I grew up was, for a lack of better words, received poorly. It was a campaign called “Seeing Newnan” and it showcased the diversity of the city. It didn’t do anything to change the community, it just highlighted those who live there. The community as a whole, however, did not receive it well.

Reading that article made me think of a campaign that I worked on this summer in Uganda. Partnering with a non-profit out of Chicago, we met with people in the community of Kaberamaido, Uganda that have been the recipients of clean water. We wanted to learn how clean water was impacting their community and their lives. The campaign was called, "See Me," and we invited them to share their stories and allow us to capture their lives. Each person that shared their story with us, trusted us. They trusted us with who they are. They trusted that we would honor their lives.

As I was reading this article, I couldn't help but think about those people that trusted their community in Newnan. They allowed their lives to be made vulnerable to everyone living there. It takes trust and a willingness to allow your image to be captured and shared with your neighbors. It takes trust to allow yourself to be put out there and hope that others will accept you as you are.

Then, this scripture came to mind.

"'Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?' And he said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

As I thought about the community of Newnan, I thought about the people in those pictures that were willing to put themselves out there and share their portrait on the side of buildings and walls; the people that were willing to share their lives with their city. I hope that the same vulnerability and trust that they offered their neighbors, will be offered to them. I know what it's like to be the "neighbor." For myself, I'm so thankful that the community of Kaberamaido, Uganda trusted me with their stories and their lives. The beauty that they shared with me is captured below.


Jennifer is 23 and dreamt of becoming a nurse. She wasn't able to complete her schooling after 6th grade and now has children to care for. Jennifer sat with us and not only shared her joys but also her hurts. 



Richard is the chairman of Majengo B. He also works for different non-profits to better his community.


School children near the watering hole whose school now has access to clean water.

Atim Ana Grace is the head of the water committee in her community. Her and her husband farm acres of land to provide food and vegetables to her community. She could not believe I don't know my neighbors. 


The headmaster at a school that has received a well. He takes so much pride in the education their school is able to provide.


Harriett has 3 siblings and bikes each day to get water for her family. Her dream is to become a nurse.

Immaculate is the mother of 12 children and the matriarch of her community. She may have 12 children by birth, but she is the mother of an entire community.


Jessica lives in the city but came home for her grandmother's funeral. When we came around she acted like she didn't speak English and then screamed at us to, "Go Home." :)  Eager to respect the community and their wishes, we went to leave, but first, she and I talked for a moment from across the watering hole. We both put our guards down and stepped towards one another. As we talked she told me that she had come home for her grandmother's funeral and shared with me her dream of becoming a hairdresser. She said that she was only home for a little while and at first had no desire to sit and spend her time talking to us. As we talked I could see the hurt in her eyes and I told her that I had lost my grandmother too. All of a sudden the things that made us different got smaller and smaller. That day Jessica and I stood together and prayed. The walls that had been built up had been broken down. I hope I'm always as willing to receive people different than me as Jessica was with me. 






Joseph's laughter and joy lit up the community and was such a bright light in my life. 




Philip carries water daily to his family. This was one of his daily treks to the local watering hole in his community.

Comments

Popular Posts